Moving to a different school, or even a different class within the same school, can be daunting for pupils, whatever age they are. It is important to have a smooth transition from Key Stage 1 to Key Stage 2 in order to:
- Ensure children are happy and confident about their move
- Promote emotional security
- Set meaningful and accurate targets from current levels of attainment
- Avoid re-teaching of all skills when not needed by having knowledge of prior learning
- Have continuity of learning
- Prevent the Y3 ‘dip’.
- Allow for a better working relationship between Y2/Y3 teachers
Year 2 to3 Transition
We work very closely with our infants school to provide an enhanced transition for year 2 children. During the school year these could include:
- Year 2 visit with their parents in Autumn term to see the junior school in action
- Year 2 parent meeting in October gives a wealth of experience about the junior school
- We hold regular Buddy reading sessions with both the infant and junior schools
- Joint Playtimes with year 2 and year 3
- Year 2 watch the year 3 production in December each year
- Joint Art activities with year 2 and 3
- Year 2 attend someaAssemblies at the junior school
- Year 2 enjoy storytime at the junior school
- We hold joint theme days with the infant and junior school
- Joint sponsored run
- We have paired learning with year 2 and 3
- We hold a Year 2 parent meeting in July to give a wealth of information prior to the year 2 starting in September
- Year 2 watch the year 6 production
- In the summer term (July), children usually spend 2 transition days at their chosen junior school. This really prepares the children for moving on. Some children may also get an extra morning looking around
- The year 2 teachers spend a lot of time passing on information about each individual child including any medical information, academic information and behaviour etc.
If you are looking to send your child to Calmore Junior School then we would love to have you. Come in or give us a call to arrange a tour of our lovely, family school.
Year 6 to 7 Transition
We work very closely with all of the local secondary schools. Most of the children from the junior school go to Testwood Sports College; a few choose Hounsdown or Applemore. Transition is a worrying time for childrern and parents so we try to make it a smooth as we can for all involved.
- All of the secondary schools hold open evenings early in the autumn term for the children and parents to attend. During the autumn term parents will need to choose which school they would like their child to go to just like they did for year 3.
- In the summer term of Year 5, the children spend a taster day at Testwood so that they can see what Testwood is like during ‘normal’ day.
- In the autumn term, Year 6 is visited by the head and year 7 leader of Testwood in September to introduce themselves.
- Throughout year 6, some teachers may come to the junior school to teach the children. In the past, we have had the French teacher, PE staff and some of the maths English team delivering lessons.
- In the summer term (July), children usually spend 3 transition days at their chosen secondary school. This really prepares the children for moving on. Some children may also get an extra morning looking around.
- The year 6 teachers and the secondary tutors spend a lot of time passing on information about each individual child including any medical information, academic information and behaviour etc. It is also vital that parents discuss any issues/ concerns with staff at the secondary school.